Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Diapers! Or shall we say... deals on diapers



One thing I discovered very quickly when I became pregnant is that I have some underlying hippy tendencies.  I didn't get to do the natural birth I wanted.  I did nurse for a year, but it wasn't without its challenges.  And that just leaves diapers.

I thought Phil would think I was crazy when I mentioned I wanted to use cloth diapers.  But he was actually totally on board.  My guess is that picking up after dogs has made him immune to the idea of cleaning dirty diapers.

After Henry was born, the cloth diapers were a little too big for his tiny body.  We waited a couple of months until he bulked up a little bit.  At that point, Phil's dad was starting to get really sick.  Between travelling to Virginia, Phil being back in Virginia, and just trying to figure out life with a baby, we used disposable for a little longer.

Then I realized that going out and about with all the cloth diaper stuff made the diaper bag HUGE.  So I decided we would use disposables when we were going places.  That pretty much left daycare.  And mostly because so many people thought I wouldn't last with the cloth diapers, I was DETERMINED to be successful with cloth (stubborn, party of ME).

So 4 days a week, Henry wears cloth.  Weekends and Thursday (when my mom watches him), he wears disposables.

We have made it 2 years, and I am guessing cloth diapers have saved us at least a few hundred dollars.  Henry moves up to the preschool-2 room at the end of the month, where they will start working on potty-training (YAY!  Another reason to love daycare- they potty-train for you).  But they mentioned that it would be easier with disposable diapers.

And I totally get it.  And whatever they need to help THEM potty-train him, I am ALL FOR.

So I have been on the hunt for the cheapest diapers possible.  I don't have time to be a crazy couponer.  I'm not driving around town to get the best deal.  I need quick and easy.  And here's a couple of deals I have found for Size 4 diapers (remember, the smaller size of diaper, the more diapers you get per box and the cheaper the per diaper cost):


1.  My extensive research has revealed that without coupons, Target has the cheapest diapers.  You can get a big box (using the REDcard) for about $0.18/diaper.  And let's face it, they don't need fancy diapers for during the day.

2.  Two words:  Amazon Mom.  Amazon Mom gives 20% off diapers.  If you get Huggies Snug & Dry (which I am convinced is Huggies most economical diaper), you can get diapers for $0.175/diaper which is basically the same price as Target diapers.  And they are delivered to your doorstep for FREE.  Pretty regularly, Amazon has coupons that you can use with the Amazon Mom discount, making the diapers $0.16/diaper.

3.  Random deals.  I was looking at Target's website a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that they now have a subscription service and they were offering 25% off Huggies diapers for your first subscription purchase.  That discount along with the REDcard discount made Huggies Snug & Dry about $0.15/diaper.  The only problem with that was they were running out of stock.  I bought 2 boxes of 192, one box of 156, and a box of size 5 Huggies Overnight (which is what Henry where to bed) for just over $100.  I think I saved almost $80 on 606 diapers.

Side note:  Of course, I didn't change the shipping address with Target, so they got sent to our old house.  And I started FREAKING OUT.  Thankfully, my brother knows the new tenant, so I was able to get all of my diapers.


The sad thing is that daycare changes their diapers so much that I think the 600 diapers I just bought will only last us 2.5-3 months.  But still, that is only $30/month and I won't have to wash anymore diapers.  :)

So there you go!  I feel like I did make cloth work for us long enough to feel good about that investment.  Plus I am going to bleach the heck out of them (throw the wet bags away) and save them for the next baby.  But this is how I am going to spend the least amount on diapers possible.  I feel like Henry is NOT going to be early to potty-train.  He has just had this mentality with milestones that he waits and waits and waits to do something until he masters it.  But I am hoping that we will only have to buy diapers for 6-9 months.  Wishful thinking?  Probably.  But I am happy with my delusions.

2 comments:

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary