Thursday, March 17, 2011

The BEST Fruit Salad







In my efforts to eat healthy, fruits and vegetables have been very important. Last week I over did it with zucchini to the point where Phil and I both don't even use the word in our house. Never knew you could overdo on that one but it turns out you can. I was actually a little concerned we were eating so much that it was unhealthy.




But I digress...




Here is a fruit salad recipe you just have to try. It is pretty easy to prepare and has so many good things in it. The best part: the fruit is in season which makes it relatively inexpensive.


At Safeway,

Mangos are $1.49 each

Kiwis are 3/$1.00

Blueberries are buy one, get one free






Mango, Kiwi, and Blueberry Salad




It is pretty simple: 2 mangos, 3 medium kiwis, and 12 oz. of blueberries.




Mangos


Skin the mangos with a peeler. Cut off the top and the bottom of the mango and cut as much of the mango of the core as possible. It is pretty easy to tell which part is fruit and which part is core. The fruit slices off, but when you hit core you can hear it cutting. That is a horrible description, but you will know it when you hear it. Then just cut the mango fruit into small pieces.




Kiwis


Take off the skin. Slice the kiwi into small pieces.




Blueberries


Wash the blueberries.




Just mix it all together. You don't need to add any sweetener. I am not sure, but I think the sugar from the kiwis sweetens the rest of the fruit.




The fruit in this salad is SO GOOD for you. Mangos are anti-inflammatory, rich in vitamins A and C and fiber. Kiwis are rich in vitamin C and fiber. Blueberries have TONS of anti-oxidents.




The other day, I put some Vanilla non-fat Greek Yogurt in with it and it was SO YUMMY and super filling.


I usually like to use foods that are locally grown. I don't really buy into the organic food craze, but local food I can really get behind. (Locally grown foods are better for the environment than organically grown foods that aren't local.) While Oregon does grow some AMAZING fruit, absolutely none of it is in season right now. Once the Farmer's market gets started again, I think I will use local fruit again.


Love, Mrs. Janney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary