Monday, May 12, 2014

Some thoughts on Mother's Day

There are a million Mother's Day posts on Facebook and in blogland from yesterday and today.  I will add to the bunch.

Yesterday marked my first official Mother's Day and my guys spoiled me.

Henry dressed up and they took me out to breakfast where Henry proceeded to be very good and eat his first pancake.

{Ignore the Christmas bib.  We are working on getting our money's worth out of that one}


Then he was very tired.  Cause pancake eating is hard.



We went to church, then home for a nap (just Henry) and then over to my parents' house for lunch.  Back home for another nap (everyone) and then a phone call to Phil's mom, dinner, bath and early bed.

It was a wonderful day, full of reminders of how blessed I am to be a mom.

But the day was also bittersweet.

I couldn't help but think about all the childless Mom's out there.  The ones who have lost babies and the ones who are still waiting and wishing for their babies.

I'm not sure if part of me will ever get over the pain of past Mother's Days.  The pain of not pregnant month after month.  Of finding out there are actual road blocks in the way to having a baby.  Of having cancer and (even though the prognosis was always good) fearing illness may make having a baby impossible.  And then the pain of having to wait after cancer treatments.

All while everyone else and their dog seems to get pregnant at the top of the hat.

I remember one day, finding out that 5 people were having a baby all before noon.  That required cake.  And wine.

I bargained, begged and pleaded that I would become a mom.

The challenges to become a mom and the sad Mother's Days of the past changed me.  It made me painfully aware of how precious the gift of motherhood is.  And how painful it was to wait for it.

I'm so grateful that I get to be a Mommy.

I didn't need a gift for Mother's Day.  Being a Mom is a gift.



1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful, and so very true. And Henry is beautiful. That last pic...

    ReplyDelete

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary