Friday, January 28, 2011

Music took me back to England







I have certain songs that when I hear them, I am basically transported back to a certain time in my life. Sometimes the song is just a glimpse of the memory.




EXAMPLES



"Feeling Good" by Michael Buble reminds me of riding my bike through campus to physics Sophomore Year of college (mostly fall term)



"My Goodies" by Ciara also reminds me of Sophomore Year of college



"Love" by Matt White reminds me of driving from Salem to Corvallis, often late at night during grad school


Norah Jones' first album reminds me of senior year of high school




Sometimes, the song makes me feel like I am literally transported back. This morning, "Vultures" by John Mayer came on and I could almost feel myself walking from my flat in Beeston through the University of Nottingham campus to class. It feels very foggy and kind of damp. The air is crisp and cool. And I am walking the long way (the flat way that took 5 minutes longer) through the Portland Building.








Pretty much any song from that album takes me back there. I bought the album while I was waiting for my first flight out of PDX the day I left for England (the day the album was released on iTunes). I really like John Mayer but this album in particular spoke to me. He had a couple of songs on there about having a broken heart (i.e. "Repair", "Dreaming with a Broken Heart", "Find Another You") and I was a little heart broken when I went to England.




Don't get me wrong, I had always wanted to do a study abroad in England, but I thought I had missed my chance. When Alan brought up the idea, I pretty much latched onto itright away because I was ready to get as far away from my ex-boyfriend as possible and nothing says far away like the other side of the world.




In the end it was the best, most challenging experience of my college days and one of the best experiences of my life. The heartache and the fact that I was alone on the other side of the world made everything more vivid I think.







Sometimes (especially lately) I miss England.

Does anyone else have a song/music that makes you feel like you are back in time?

Love, Mrs. Janney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary