Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Jiggle Free July

By the time Phil and I got engaged (back in 2009), we had both put on what my mom calls "happy weight."  Depending on the day, it was about 15 pounds.  It wasn't cute.  And I didn't want to go wedding dress shopping for a dress that size.  I decided it was time to trim down.

I started by training for a half-marathon  And I completed it.  Not exactly in the best time, but whatever.  13.1 miles is 13.1 miles.  Then we joined a gym and I started taking some classes, did a TON of cardio, tracked my calories in versus calories out, etc.  And I did see results.  I lost about 17 lbs and got down to my lowest post-college weight.

But the results were no where near what my calorie tracking said it should be.  I was burning enough to lose between 1/2 to 1 pound a week and would be lucky if I lost that much in a month.  It was super frustrating, to say the least.

Come my wedding day, my dress (which since I was between sizes, they ordered DOWN a size) was almost too big.  I felt beautiful and LOVE all of my wedding pictures.

Mission accomplished.

But then the newlywed weight came a little.  And then when we started trying to get pregnant, I quit restricting my calories and exercising as strenuously.  And the thyroid cancer made a few pounds pack on.  Pregnancy was obviously a big time for weight gain time for me.

Thankfully, the pregnancy weight is gone and I'm almost back down to my wedding weight.  Since I have an artificial metabolism, I know that controlling my weight isn't going to be all that easy.  And I just don't have the time or energy to track my calories or work out like I did before my wedding.  Plus it didn't work all that well.

Somehow, I stumbled upon a workout schedule for July called "Jiggle Free July".



To be honest, it looked downright impossible.  60 burpees?  Yeah right.  But I thought I would give it a go.

Well, I got sick during the second week of July, so I missed a few days there.  And then I just got sick again, so that was a few more days missed.  While I have been doing the lunges, squats, russian twists, push-ups, and sit-ups, I have completely skipped the burpees.

Have you done a burpee?  They suck.

Anyway...

It's working!!!  I have abs again.  And I can do so many more push-ups than I used to be able to do.  I think I might actually be smaller than I was before my wedding, giving proof to the theory that it isn't the number on the scale that matters.

Since I have kind of cheated my way through this month, I have decided that next month, I am going to start over and try and do the whole month according to the calendar.

Jiggle free August doesn't roll off the tongue kind of like "Jiggle Free July".  I don't care what you call it as long as it firms things up.

Care to join me in "Jiggle Free August"?  We can get a support group going.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Printing this out and hanging it on my fridge for August! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 60 burpees does sound like a lot! But I guess you work your way up to that? Hmm...maybe on days I don't go to the gym, I'll join you, just have to remember to do it!

    ReplyDelete

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary