Friday, February 21, 2014

9 down, 3 to go



Today we had Henry's 9 month check-up.  He's just about been out in the world for the same amount of time that I had him to myself.  It's kind of crazy when you think about it because the last 9 months has flown by and his gestation period was pretty much the longest 9 months EVER.

But what is really weird is when someone asked me how close to 9 months I really carried him for.  As in, was it pretty close to nine months since he was conceived.  The question kind of weirded me out because it was someone (a man, by the way) basically asking when exactly my husband and I did the deed.

(Apologies to my mom who never reads this and my mother-in-law who actually does read this.)

I was confused how to answer.  "Yes, Henry was born 9 months to the day after he was conceived!"  I don't know.  Seemed like an overshare.

I digress.



My original goal for breastfeeding was to make it to his first birthday.  I wanted to switch from breastmilk straight to cows milk without purchasing a can of formula.  We are 9 months down with 3 months to go.

I guess a part of me will miss it after I stop nursing.  But not really.  I am so grateful I have been able to breastfeed (or pump, really) for as long as I have.  Breastmilk is so amazing.  The health benefits are great.  I really think if it weren't for breastmilk, Henry would have had so many more ear infections than he already has.  But let's be honest... I'm a working mom, meaning I am not spending my days lovingly nursing my child.  I'm hooked up to a pump for almost 2 hours a day.  It is only possible because I work in a very good work place and I have an amazing husband who does absolutely everything he can to support me.  If my count is current, I have 13 weeks left.

Henry is no small guy.  Turns out he is in the 97th percentile for height and 90th percentile for weight.  The kid is a decent size.  So it shouldn't be a surprise that he requires A LOT of milk.  To be perfectly honest, providing enough breastmilk for the kid stresses me out.  My entire day revolves around my pumping schedule.  If I get 9 oz of milk during my first pumping session, I am anxious because it wasn't the 11 oz I used to get.  If I get 7 oz, I start chugging water and panicking.  I am not going to miss the constant game of "Am I making enough milk?"

{Flannel shirt.  Wranglers.  Tool bench.  He's so manly}


Here is a short list of other things I am looking forward to when the milk machines are closed for business:

-  Being able to drink more than one cup of regular coffee per day.

-  Picking out clothes not based on having to lift my shirt 5 times a day.

-  Not having trap doors on my bras.

-  Not having to lift my shirt a work, something that is generally not encouraged at the work place.

-  Ditching my Dora the Breastfeeding Explorer backpack.

-  No leaking

-  The ability to make evening plans with friends or my husband that don't involve the pump as well.

Not that I am wanting time to go by any faster than it already is.  I will enjoy our last 3 months breastfeeing and then happily hand him his sippy cup of milk in May.

5 comments:

  1. I exclusively pumped for my daughter. It is not easy, but I'm glad I did it! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumping seems like so much work! You're doing a great job so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, all those are definitely pros to Elsie having self-weaned. It was kind of tough on me emotionally and I still miss nursing her some days (and obviously formula is tough on the wallet), but it's all right. It is definitely nice to be able to wear a normal bra now!! I'm so proud of you for making it nine months! Pumping is NOT easy, so you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is amazing!! I feel the exact same way! I love that I'm able to provide for Kimber in this way, but as a working pump, I am SO over pumping at work!! Keep going mama - it's so worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl you are awesome! I stay home with Elliott and am able to breastfeed on demand...but Elliott's still gotten formula here and there. I pumped for the first 6 mos at different times so I could have bottles for Elliott when we were out, but it was so hard to keep up. I'm definitely looking forward to pretty much all of your items on the list, especially not having trap doors on my bra ha!

    ReplyDelete

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary