Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Undetectable vs. Perfect

I've now been to several pregnancy doctor's appointments and several cancer doctor's appointments.

Without a doubt, I prefer the pregnancy appointments.

At cancer appointments, they use words like "undetectable" or they say things like "no sign of cancer for now".  And then they immediately point out the plan for the future... of constant tests and checks that will never end to make sure that there is no evidence of cancer (or if there is, that it is caught sooner rather than later).  So you leave feeling relieved, but knowing that you'll go through the whole thing in another 6 months.  And then 6 months after that.  And 6 months after that.

I'm still not sure if I can really say that I had or have thyroid cancer.  Has it been long enough that I can refer to it past tense?  I'm not sure.

But then you go to the pregnancy appointments.  Everyone is so happy and upbeat.  And while things aren't 100% in obstetrics, they still use words like "perfect" and say "everything looks wonderful".  They don't say those things at cancer appointments.

Either way, so much of it is out of my control.  I can't control how my baby is doing and I can't control if my cancer comes back.  But the atmosphere at the OB's office is much more upbeat.

Yeah... baby appointments are much better.

2 comments:

  1. baby appts are so much better! glad to hear that everything is perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting to hear that heartbeat is the best

    ReplyDelete

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary