Tuesday, June 5, 2012

2

Today is our second wedding anniversary.

I don't even know where to start.

Obviously this past year has dealt us our fair share of trials.  If told me a year ago that our second year of marriage would have been so challenging, I am not sure I would have believed them.  I certainly wouldn't have wanted to.

When you are young and get married, you picture all the adventures ahead of you.  Happiness.  Babies.  Building a home.  Careers.  Basically just rainbow and sunshine.  Sadness, illness, and heartbreak aren't supposed to come until much later.  But there is a reason wedding vows include "in sickness and in health", "in good times and in bad".  Marriage isn't for the faint of heart.

I'd like to think that if the roles had been reversed, that I would have taken care of Phil with as much selflessness and devotion as he did for me.  But I know that isn't totally true.  I don't think I would have done as good of a job as he did.  What I have learned in my second year of marriage is that I definitely married up.



While our second year of marriage hasn't been perfect, it has been filled with lessons in love and marriage that I think bond us together more than most couples who have been together for much longer than us.  Lingerie hasn't been pulled out of the dresser drawers for quite a while, but the fleece pants and thermal shirts are seen regularly.  Romantic dinners have involed eating anything that includes iodine.  Evenings spent cuddling usually also involve crying (stupid hormones).  And for a while there, showering together was a necessity so he could wash my hair.

With tears, surgeries, scars, scans, and cancer Phil has showed me that his love for me is more than physical attraction and my witty personality. And I am so much more in love with him because of it.  That is the best anniversary present I could ever ask for. 

Happy Anniversary Love!  I love you!  And here's to some happier adventures in our third year.


14 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! You are blessed. No doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is precious! What a blessing you two are to each other. Praying that the coming years are much better and greatly blessed! Happy Anniversary :) btw, you look gorgeous in your pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You warned me about this post so I was totally prepared. But the timing is all off. I am PMSing and this made me want to cry. I am not a cryer. But this almost did me in.

    Happy Anniversary to the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This was so incredibly sweet! Thank you for sharing your journey with us. You are so blessed to have a devoted partner to walk through life with. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this was so sweet! I'm almost intimidated to follow it with a guest post now :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your anniversary! I hope your third year of marriage is much less stressful and more fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! So happy for you!

    xo Shane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary! Sounds like you've got the right man! Hope you're feeling good these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary (belated but genuine) ... happy for both of you and wishing you a wonderful third year ahead as well as many more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm new to your blog (from WNMB hop) so I have to catch up on your health situation, but this post is beautiful. The pictures alone are worth 1,000 words, but your words even overshadowed the images. So poignant. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary