Ingredients5 Peppers (Yellow, Red, Orange, or Green)
1 lb Ground meat (we like to use bison)
1 cup uncooked brown rice or quinoa
2 cups water (for cooking rice)
1 small onion chopped
1 or 2 garlic cloves minced
24 ounces no salt added tomato sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cooked the rice/quinoa. We have a rice cooker, so I like to use that.
3. Put onion in a pan on medium heat. Cook onions for about 5 minutes and then add the meat and brown it. Season meat with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
4. Cut the tops off the peppers, set aside, Clean the peppers and place in a microwave safe dish. Put a little water in the bottom of the dish and microwave peppers for about 5 minutes.
5. Once the meat is cooked, add the tomato sauce and garlic. Add rice/quinoa when it is cooked. Season a little if you'd like. Stir together. Remove from heat.
6. Spoon stuffing into the microwaved peppers to the top.
7. Place thing slices of cheese on the top. Put peppers in the oven. Cook until the cheese bubbles, approximately 20 minutes.
8. Turn broiler on HI and cook for an additional few minutes, until the cheese crisps up.
If you have any leftover stuffing, I like to cut up the tops of the peppers and put those with the extra stuffing with a little cheese. It makes a really yummy lunch.
I don't know how many calories are in these, but it can't be that bad. You get your meat, grain, veggie, and a little dairy all in one. They are gluten-free and you could make them vegetarian by using black beans instead of meat.