Monday, August 20, 2012

Aunt Natalie, why do you have a neck scar?

Remember David?








He's my super cute 4 year old nephew.  He's got a lot of spunk and says some of the funniest things.  Not to mention, there is nothing quite like watching someone discover the world


Every time I see him, he tells me that my neck scar is looking good.  And he's been very gentle with my neck ever since my first surgery, which is a little unlike him.  He's got a lot of energy.  :)  A couple of weeks ago, we were at my parents' house celebrating my sister's birthday.  I went to find David to tell him it was time to eat.  After tickling him profusely, he once again told me that my neck scar looked good.  He said, "It doesn't look as red."

I said (like I always do), "Thanks David!  It is getting better."

That's when he got this serious look on his face and asked, "How come you have that scar?"

Crap... How do I explain surgery to a little kid without giving him nightmares?

I said, "I had to have a gland taken out of my neck because it was making me sick.  So a very special doctor (didn't want him to think his regular doctor was going to cut open his neck or something) had to very carefully cut my neck to get it out.  So it wouldn't make me sick anymore."

He just kind of looked at me.  Dang it... I freaked him out.

So I kept going, "This doctor had to go to school for super super SUPER long to learn how to do that."

David replied with, "Was the doctor old?"

"Yeah," I said.  "Old like your dad."  :)

David laughed and we went to get dinner.  Hopefully I didn't give him nightmares or terrify him of the doctor.

4 comments:

  1. haha.... "old like your dad".... GOOD ONE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw what a sweet little boy. My nephew is only 2 and I love watching him 'discover the world'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like an awesome aunt I love that you cater your responses for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww my kids will probably ask me that question too! Great answer!

    ReplyDelete

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary