Thursday, March 1, 2012

2012 Goals

I know what you are thinking... 2012 started 2 months ago.  A little late to be setting out goals for the year.  Well, when 2012 began I didn't even know for sure I had cancer so I was a little apprehensive about what my goals would look like.  There were 2 very different paths:

Fight cancer or have babies

Since I ended up having cancer, babies were out.  Turns out you shouldn't have babies for like a year after the radioactive iodine.  Silly doctors.

Seeing how trying to have babies is what started this whole thing, we were even more devastated when the word "malignant" got thrown our way.

So it took me a little while to figure out what the near future was going to look like for us.  Not only was I not going to be having a baby, but I was going to need another surgery and oral chemotherapy.  Throw in messed up thyroid hormones and I pretty much knew 2012 was not going to be the year I lost a bunch of weight or ran marathons.  I needed realistic goals for what I would be able to accomplish this year.

I finally figured it out. 


{My birthday present.  And yes... that is a giant jar of Hersey's kisses.  Brandie and her daughter, Lexi, gave that to me as a get well present.}

I'm going to learn Spanish. 

I took 2 years of Latin in high school, which will prove to be really useful if Julius Caesar ever comes back from the grave.  Or if I decide to do my own translation of The Bible.  I'm pretty good with the NIV translation, so maybe a language like Spanish will be a little more useful.  Plus Jacob is in a Spanish/English immersion school so I figure we can learn and speak with each other.

One of Phil's friends, Tyler, learned Korean using Rosetta Stone so I figured I would give it a try for Spanish.  My parents and Phil's parents gave me some Amazon gift cards for my birthday which I used to purchase Level 1.

It came in the mail Tuesday and so far I haven't spent a ton of time working with it.  I have, however, learned to say "the girl drinks."  I'm practically fluent.

I have some other goals too, like clean the house more often, be better about hanging clothes up, be neater, etc.  But I'm actually really excited about the Spanish one.  We'll just see if my thyroid hormone hazed brain will allow me to learn.



P.S. - I wrote this post while Phil was ranting to me about Survivor.  If the words "fire", "tribal council", or "Jeff Probst" are in the post anywhere, sorry.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary