Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Almond Milk

Phil and I have always wondered about milk subsitutes.  What exactly is soy/almond/rice milk and how do they make it?  How do you milk an almond?

In case you too were wondering about how you make almond milk, here's how you do it:


Almond Milk

1)  Soak raw, unsalted, unroasted almonds and soak them in water for a day.


2)  For every 1 ounce of (dry weight) almonds, use about 1 cup of water.  Place almonds, water, some salt, a little bit of maple syrup, and a cap and a half of pure vanilla extract in a blender and blend away.

3)  Strain blended mix through cheeseclothe into a container.


4)  Taste.  The first batch I made was absolutely disgusting.  I had only added a few drops of maple syrup and hadn't figured out the vanilla yet.  Once I got that all figured out, it actually wasn't that bad.


Let me just say, there is a reason they put these things in cartons you can't see through.  It looks kind of gross after it has sat a while.  Definitely need to SHAKE before using.

I have no idea why anyone would ever make their own almond milk if they didn't have to.


1 comment:

  1. Hi there! Just found your blog via the Daily Bailey and am a new follower:) I have been looking everywhere for an almond milk - tried-and-tested recipe. The craze has really hit and I have been seeing it everywhere.

    Does almond milk taste of almonds?

    http://unpublishedworksofme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Let's be friends. I hope your e-mail is attached to your profile! Then I can e-mail you back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Anniversary